Answered By: Kate Lynch Last Updated: Feb 22, 2017 Views: 10
Answered By: Kate Lynch
Last Updated: Feb 22, 2017 Views: 10
The information on this page is provided in a PDF at the bottom of the page for you to save or print.
In Microsoft Word:
- Under the "Insert" tab (the second tab in the main tool bar, after “Home”), click on "Header," and select "Blank."
- This will create a header and open up a new tab on the far right side of the tool bar entitled Header & Footer, which will be highlighted in green.
- Under the Header & Footer Tools Design Tab, check the box for Different First Page. Type in your first page header.
- Example: "Running Head: TITLE OF YOUR PAPER"
- If you do not see the box for Different First Page, click on the box that says Options, and the checkbox will appear.
- Press tab twice to move the cursor to the right-hand side of the header.
- Go to the Insert tab and click on Page Number.
- Select Current Position, and then Plain Number.
- Double click on the document page to exit the header.
- Go to the second page of your paper (or create a new page by hitting CTRL + Enter).
- Open up the header on the second page (double click on the header).
- Type in the title of your paper.
- Close out of the Header.